Suggested Packing List
Following are some tips and a suggested packing list for a one-week bike tour. Realise however that this is a general suggested list designed for all weather situations. Keep in mind, even if your luggage is transported from place to place, you must still carry it to your first meeting place, lug it around airports, and train and bus stations! It pays to pack lightly!
- Ziploc bags are fantastic! Use them to separate clothing items, toiletries etc. This makes it easy to stay organized.
- Don’t count on using Laundromats. There are launderettes in a few of the villages, and you can bring a bag of dirty clothes to them in the morning and collect in the evening. Most hotels do not have laundry services and they can be expensive. It is possible to wash out t-shirts or bike pants in your hotel or guesthouse bathroom. After you ring them out, roll them in a dry towel and press the water out of them. Hang to dry! Therefore 1-2 pairs of bike pants and 4 or 5 T-shirts or beter bike shirts should be enough for a week of cycling during summer months.
- Do not bring a rain poncho! These become “sails” in the wind. However, a rain proof, wind proof type of jacket is a must! Rain pants are nice but optional. We find we swelter in them, unless it’s really cold!
- Layer! Even during the summer months in Ireland you may have some cool or wet days. We suggest a lightweight base layer that will wick moisture away from the skin. A cycling jersey is ideal. The next layer should provide insulation for cool weather conditions. Finally you need a windproof and waterproof shell to protect you from the elements.
- Bring baby powder, moleskins, or your own preferred type of provision in case you experience irritation or chafing during biking.
- Sunglasses. Test the fit of your sunglasses with a helmet on a bike ride before you go! A sun visor on your helmet is also a nice addition.
- Padded biking gloves can add to the comfort of your biking vacation.
- Bring a gel seat cover if you are worried about your saddle.
- 1-3 pairs of padded bike shorts is a good idea to keep your sit bones happy.
- Bring an under-clothing pouch to carry money, credit cards and passports